Opportunities to Serve
Outreach and mission
- Anglican Frontier Mission: education of the congregation about mission opportunities; sponsoring projects and support
- Change the World RVA
- Liberation Family Services: prepare bagged lunches monthly and a dinner 5 times a year for the shelter.
- St. Monica’s Guild: open to all women of the church; service group, both inside and outside church.
- Pregnancy Resource Center – we provide donations of new baby items and maternity clothes http://www.pregnant-richmond-va.org/
- Stop Hunger Now
- Altar guild: prepare the altar and sanctuary for worship, including linens, communion silver, and flowers; four teams, each serving once a month
- Choir: rehearse on Wednesday nights at 7:00; open to all, regardless of training
- Lectors: read the scriptures for services; training sessions offered periodically, all are welcome.
- Eucharistic Ministers: assist the rector distributing the communion elements
- Eucharist visitors: take communion to members at home or in the hospital; requires training and licensing
- Ushers: hand out bulletins, take up offering, direct congregation during communion
- Intercessors: lead the prayers of the people
- Acolytes: meet for training every first and fourth Saturday; open to youth, beginning in the fifth grade
- Greeters: greet everyone; give visitors direction and a welcome packet, and then deliver visitor cards to the office
Building and Grounds
- Grounds care: cut grass and maintain borders; both monthly duties and/or special work days
- Coffee time: bring snack, set up, clean up, etc. once a month
- Receptions and meals: help prepare food and set up for weddings, funerals, and special events.
- Transportation: pick up and take home parishioners who cannot drive
Christian education/children and youth
- Nursery: welcome parents and care for children – ages 0-4 during service, etc. (asst. paid staff person)
- Children’s Chapel:prepare and deliver messages with interactive activity, based on the lectionary readings for Sunday; doing the sermon for children ages 5-8.
- Youth Group: work with students in grades 6th – 12th to provide opportunities for service and fun
Opportunities for study and fellowship
- Lenten dinners and study
- Newcomers’ gatherings
- New Member classes
- Confirmation preparation
Weekly and monthly
- Men’s Bible Study
- Women’s Bible study