Opportunities to Serve
Outreach and mission
- Helping area Homeless High School Students
- Zsa Zsa people missions
- Stop Hunger Now
- Change the World
- Central Virginia Food Bank
- Freedom House: prepare bagged lunches monthly and a dinner 5 times a year for the shelter.
- St. Monica’s Guild: open to all women of the church; service group, both inside and outside church.
- Anglican Frontier Mission [or: Overseas Mission]: education of the congregation about mission opportunities; sponsoring projects and support
- Pregnancy Resource Center – we provide donations of new baby items and maternity clothes http://www.pregnant-richmond-va.org/
- Altar guild: prepare the altar and sanctuary for worship, including linens, communion silver, and flowers; four teams, each serving once a month
- Choir: open to all, regardless of training; rehearses on Wednesday nights at 7:00
- Lectors: reading the scriptures for services; training sessions offered periodically, all are welcome.
- Eucharistic Ministers: assist the rector distributing the communion elements
- Eucharist visitors: take communion to the home and the hospital; requires training and licensing
- Ushers: handing out bulletin, directing congregation during communion
- Intercessors: lead the prayers of the people
- Acolytes: open to youth, beginning in the fifth grade; meets for training every first and fourth Saturday
- Greeters: greet everyone; give visitors direction, welcome packet, then get visitor cards to the office
Building and Grounds
- Grounds care: grass cutting and maintain borders; both monthly duties and/or special work days
- Coffee time: bring snack, set up, clean up, etc. once a month
- Receptions and meals: help prepare food and set up for weddings, funerals, and special events.
- Transportation: picking and taking home parishioners who cannot drive
Christian education/children and youth
- Nursery: welcome parents and care for children – ages 0-4 during service, etc. (asst. paid staff person)
- Children’s Chapel: prepare and deliver messages with interactive activity, based on the lectionary readings for Sunday; doing the sermon for children ages 5-8.
- Youth Group: grades 6th – 12th opportunities for service and fun
Opportunities for study and fellowship
- Lenten dinners and study
- Newcomers’ gatherings
- New Member classes
- Confirmation preparation
Weekly and monthly
- Men’s Bible Study
- Women’s Bible study
- St. Anne’s Guild: opportunity for ladies to meet for fellowship, bible study, and lunch at Westminster Canterbury 1st Tuesday of each month